Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Kansas City BBQ

I recently discovered I'd be going to Kansas City to visit a customer corporate headquarters to help out with an install. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remembered hearing KC, as the city is affectionately referred to by locals, is home to great BBQ. For whatever reason I was under the impression white BBQ sauce was a popular option, but alas that was untrue. What is true is the BBQ is pretty darn good. My coworker and I visited Jack Stack, a restaurant said by some to be the place and others a complete tourist trap. Their menu is full of options ranging from salads to steak and of course includes KC staples such as "burnt ends" and dry rubbed ribs. We started with grilled chicken wings and followed with a full rack of spare ribs and fixins. One of the more bizarre elements was the white toast slices coming with both meat dishes; not garlic toast, just dry white toast. The sauce on the ribs was a tangy sauce leaning more towards sour than the traditional sweet sauce I'm used to, and the meat was tender and juicy. All in all it was definitely good BBQ so if you're in the area make the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment